Brooke got her 6 month check up. She's Six MONTHS already!! Where did the time go?? The girl is going to be a basketball player as our Doctor tells us. She's in the 98% percentile (she's slowing down... because at her 4 month check up the girl was OFF the chart) for her height and 75% percentile for her weight. She took her 5 shots pretty well. I gave her some tylenol before (the girl loves grape flavor tylenol). This time they gave her a flu shot. I didn't think anything of it at the time. She cried for a moment then she gave the nurses smiles and waves as we left. She even made friends with some ladies in the waiting room as I strapped her into the "dreaded" carrier. She hates her carrier... her poor legs hang off the end of it.. and her legs are strunched against the seat in the car. Who wouldn't be mad?? Anyways that afternoon I had to fight for a nap. This is a more common thing lately... Well with me. My mom seems to spoil her by rocking her to sleep. Dan and I are trying to build her independence by just having her will herself to sleep. She gets so excited or overtied she will not go down for a nap even though she's exhausted!! Finally we got a nap then she just slept through to about 2am. I got up for her feeding, this is a habit I need to start breaking so she can sleep thru the night. When I went to kiss her on the forehead she was burning up. The poor girl had a 100.2 fever. I gave her some tylenol and a cold cloth on her forehead. She wouldn't eat but she did take some cold water. Finally she went back to sleep. I got about an hour of sleep then had to wake up with her. Anyways her fever finally died down but that was the first time we ever had any issues with the vaccines.
So Brooke saw Santa Claus for the first time. We decided to get to the mall early. Why not do some Christmas shopping and be the first in line for Santa? Well we went to Toys R Us and you know how that turned out?? We didn't go overboard. We only got two things. We got a chattering Elmo... with no off button. And some bath squrters. Then we walked the SeaTac Mall. We got lapped by an elder couple. Finally we got in line to see Santa. Luckily we got one nice shot before Brooke completely lost it. We are lucky the elves had an Elmo doll with bells on it to shake at Brooke so we could get a smile. $25 for a 5x7 photo. Just one photo. After we got home and put Brooke down for a nap, Dan and I got addicted on making paper snowflakes. Yes paper snowflakes! In our living room we have picture window and we filled it with papersnow flakes. We decided this would be another yearly tradition. Later that day we started making cookies. Brooke sat in her bumbo on the counter while I baked. She was in charge of the sprinkles. I showed her how to shake them onto the cookies as she squealed in delight. Then it got boring and she had to go play with papa.
Let me tell you, we have the BEST neighbors EVER!! Seriously! One of our neighbors is a lovely lady who we see walking her dog and saying hello. Well last Tuesday night she brought over a gift for us and Brooke. We felt so touched that we went and took her cookies and fudge the next day while we were taking a walk. Brooke was in her little carrier while I did most of the walking. Let me tell you that girl is heavy! Then the day before Christmas Eve our other neighbors came by with a huge box of cookies, candies and fudge. You guessed it the next day we returned the favor with some fudge of our own and cookies. It's such a great feeling connecting with people you don't normally connect with on a daily basis. Usually it's a quick hello or a wave. That's why we love the Christmas spirit. I love that we can slow down for a few days and connect, catch up with people and not have to worry about "what time is it?" or "are we going to be late?". Luckily we got to see ALL of our close friends on Christmas Eve. We had all of them coming by to catch up and hold Brooke. Thank goodness Brooke didn't fight us on any naps that day! She was in good spirts. Everyone got hugs and kisses. Even when the Resslers came by she looked soo concerned with Baby Caleb when was crying. The poor little guy got passed around all day.. Brooke hates the pass the baby around game. She also reached out to Caleb a few times. I had to have a quick reaction time since she like to go for people's eyes or grab their cheeks. She got to stay up an extra hour that night waiting for Santa. She put a beer and cookies out for Santa. Well she helped momma put these things out. You can guess who played Santa that night?? Brooke got to open one gift on Christmas Eve. She got a Silly Town toy. It's basically square and block characters that make noises.. It has tons of activities. It makes tons of noise and only plays three songs. And of course Brooke loves it!!
Christmas morning we woke up around 6am. We went straight for the gifts. Not that the holidays are about gifts to me.It's more about family, traditions and the fact Jesus came to Earth to save us for our sins.
I headed to get the coffee and water first (I'm always dying of thrist in the morning) . Brooke was amazed by the wrapping paper. Sesame Street. So she was touching Big Bird and Ernie. We would have to start the rip for Brooke, she would finish the rip of the wrapping paper. Okay so we had to watch her so she wouldn't "eat" the wrapping paper. I think we could have gotten her one present and she would have been happy. It was the chatter Elmo. The girl loves Elmo. She loves the furry red monster so much that her Elmo Stocking died... sooo sad (fist pump "yes"!). Brooke got so many new toys she had to take a nap halfway through opening. Then Dan and I started opening our 'grown- up ' presents. I got a charm bracelet that documented my life with Dan. He got charms for Brooke, the house, my 3 day walk, the Jeep he bought me, our first Christmas tree. And he got a Kinect for the Xbox. We still haven't figured out how to set it up since it needs a ton of memory and an update.
Brooke had so much fun with her toys she took extra naps. Luckily she can look at her twilight ladybug as she falls asleep. It's a ladybug that reflects stars on her ceiling. It's pretty cool. Even I like looking up at it when I'm feeding her, her nightly bottle. The stars can reflect in red, blue or green.
All I can say is that we are very blessed. We thought we had a tough year financially but we know that at the end of this year things came together. Most importantly we become close to those who were strangers last year. And just to think that Brooke was the size of a plum last year about this time. Now the girl is trying to crawl (she's trying, but usually breaks down in tears). We bought her this crawling snail toy that's suppose to get babies to try and crawl. The thing just makes Brooke irrated and she swats at it. Yes Brooke-zilla strikes again!
Brooke waiting for Santa
Brooke trying to open a gift with Papa
Brooke wanting Elmo over the Sing-a-ma-jigs
Keys that make noise!
Trying to wrap up Brooke
This Christmas was very special to Dan and I. We are completely thankful to all our friends and family that made this Christmas very special to us and for Brooke. We love you all!!

No comments:
Post a Comment