Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The real meaning of being Selfless = being a mommy

It's hard to believe that things have changed.. they will never be the same. The night before we left the hospital, I turned to Dan and said "Once we leave for the hospital there will be three of us. Not just us." And our lives were changed forever on Friday, June 4th. Brooke Christine was born at 5:53 am. She was shaking and gasping for air while crying. Dan and I both immediately fell in love with her.

The next couple of days were an adjustment. All I have to say is I love my friends who are "Mommies"!! I could not have survived without them!! The advice, the dinners dropped off at our house, the help they gave me was just priceless. I love them all to death! I know that now I'm a mom I can be there for my friends who will be first time mom's.

All I can say is I look at Brooke and I can't believe how much I love her!! Just being away from her for an hour or two makes me crazy (I know I'm going to cry when I go back to work!!). Everyday I learn something new from her. Emotionally and physically. The biggest lesson I have learned from being a mommy is that you have to be utterly selfless. You have a little human being counting on you. Completely reliant on YOU! That means you can't roll over and fall back asleep when she's crying. That means holding her and soothing her instead of eating a hot lunch... you settle for sagging cold fries and a cold hamburger. You clean up spit up/throw up instead of taking a hot bath and shaving your legs.

But most importantly the best thing about being selfless is seeing that big smile and have one look at you with love. Also when she clings to you and has her arms wide open. And the amazing part is that she lived in me for 9 1/2 months. I carried her and I'm all that she knows that is familar.

No comments:

Post a Comment